Wednesday 20 June 2012

Austerity

We, like normal working people, have been doing austerity for some time.

From today's NY Times:-

"The real entry-level hourly wage for men who recently graduated from high school fell to $11.68 last year, from $15.64 in 1979, according to data from the Economic Policy Institute. And the percentage of those jobs that offer health insurance has plummeted to 22.8 percent, from 63.3 percent in 1979. "

I have heard this a lot in the last couple of years. But when I was yapping on about it in the 90s, everyone used to stare at my like I was a swivel eyed left lunatic.

Now I may be a lefty.  A lunatic even, perhaps my eyes can wander, that doesn't mean I was wrong back then.

There has been a massive cultural change. Now there are parts of our elite (like the NY Times for example) prepared to put this sort of thing out there. the people have moved on. The journalists have moved on. When will government stop behaving like it is still the 1980s?

No comments:

Post a Comment